Job Title: Tribal Youth Activities Coordinator
Reports To: Member Services Program Manager
Salary Range: MIT Grade 6, non-exempt, full-time, hours variable
The Tribal Youth Activities Coordinator (Coordinator) is responsible for coordinating the ongoing, day-to-day activities of the Mechoopda Tribal Youth Program (TYP) in accordance with federal, tribal, and other funding source guidelines. The Coordinator will plan, supervise, and facilitate activities that empower tribal youth to make healthy, positive choices related to everyday life and school. The program service area is Chico, CA.
- Facilitate youth leadership activities for Mechoopda youth, including community involvement, fundraising activities, after school activities, cultural events (i.e., Gathering of Native Americans (GONA)), and regular parent/community meetings.
- Plan and conduct regular craft, cultural, recreational, and culturally appropriate activities for tribal youth, including activities involving cultural mentors.
- Work with Tribe’s liaison to Northern Valley Indian Health to plan and conduct wellness related programs and activities that involve tribal youth, including activities involving cultural mentors.
- Plan, implement, and oversee incentive and reward programs for tribal youth living in Chico.
- Plan and provide (or secure) transportation and supervision for events and activities in accordance with youth program funding requirements, including activities supporting drug/alcohol, delinquency, and violence prevention.
- Be aware of youth budget requirements and comply with the same.
- Collect, analyze, and report statistics regarding program activities to Youth and Wellness Manager to be able to provide recommendations on further activities.
- Develop and maintain relationships with Indian Education programs, local schools, parents, and students to establish expectations for program.
- Occasionally work evenings and weekends, with supervisor approval in advance and in accordance with tribal personnel policies and procedures.
- Assist with developing policies and procedures associated with the tribal youth program.
- Provide a monthly program report to the Tribal Youth and Wellness Program Manager.
- Ensure program vehicles are clean, maintained, and properly fueled.
- Other duties that enhance and support the youth program, as assigned.
- Associate’s degree OR at least two years of experience working with youth OR an equivalent combination of experience and education.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain privacy and confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate in oral and written form effectively with diverse client populations including low/moderate income, high risk, and diverse family systems.
- Knowledge of basic safety practices, and must be CPR/First Aid Certified.
- Associate’s degree in Social Sciences, Criminal Justice, or related field
- Experience working with Native American communities
- Must be eligible for coverage under the Tribe’s vehicle insurance policy.
- Must possess a valid California driver’s license, Class B preferred. Must provide a current DMV printout and be willing to travel locally, regionally, statewide, and/or out-of-state, as necessary, during or after regular working hours.
- Preference in hiring is given to qualified American Indians in accordance with the Indian Preference Act (Title 25 U.S. Code, § 472 and 473). Applicants claiming Indian preference must submit verification by Tribe of affiliation or other acceptable documentation of Indian heritage.
- Work involves long periods of sitting and may include walking, bending, crouching, stooping, stretching, reaching, or similar activities, and lifting of moderately heavy items, up to 20 lbs.
- Must be able to satisfactorily complete a background check, fingerprint live scan, and pre-employment physical, if applicable.
- Must be able to satisfactorily pass a pre-employment drug/alcohol/substances test pursuant to the Drug-Free Workplace Act of 1988.
Please visit the Mechoopda website for a complete view of the job description and to download an application. We are only accepting applications that are available on our website.
PLEASE SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT BEFORE COMING TO THE OFFICE, AS STAFF IS CURRENTLY AVAILABLE BY APPOINTMENT ONLY.